Thursday, June 28, 2007
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
grant is amazing. he is a high maintenance kinda kid i will admit...but so worth it. his Independence testing is in overdrive...seems like overnight...and boundaries are especially important...before he becomes the chief. here is a list of grant attributes:
- walking - more than crawling
- can stand up anywhere without help, squat to pick up toy, up again and walking with toy
- peek a boo with his hands over his own eyes (instead of behind something etc)
- refuses to eat pureed foods (dont blame him...we were spoiled for too long...its sooo convenient!) and actually refuses to eat all kinds of foods now. i think he is just enjoying the control of pursed lips....and sadi is very happy to have his over boards
- bites!!!!!! i cant believe this is my kid. he bites out of frustration and to say i love you...hasnt bit anyone but me thank goodness...and im working hard at nipping this in the bud...but its HARD. ugh
- has 4 teeth....2 up and 2 down
- has been teething constantly it seems since he was 2 months old
- is back on singulair bc the control study went sour as his allergies were kicking in and we didnt want to be back on nebulizer treatments anytime soon
- potties on the toilet a minimum of once per day
- loves swimming, playing ball, cleaning the house with the swiffer or broom & electrical outlets! ugh
- is obsessed with the lawn mower - and neal (day care grandma) said he spent about 20 minutes watching pa pa mowing the lawn through the window today!
- loves etch a sketch
- puts his play phone on his shoulder and has conversations
- dances sooooo soooo cute! he really has a shimmy...its a drop knee swivel hehe
- recognizes his home...and shows his excitement upon pulling in the driveway. today he even exclaimed "DAD" - anticipating their reunion
- hates being bathed - loves bath time play
- doesnt appreciate being diapered and voices his objection
thats whats on my mind right now. overall he is a very curious, intelligent, charming, social & silly almost 1 year old. he challenges me in ways i never knew existed and i am a better person for knowing him.
had a wonderful visit with my mother this past weekend...we stayed at home for the most part which made for relaxation. also threw in a t-bones baseball game which grant loved, just a bit of shopping and sushi...which my mom detested.
Friday, June 22, 2007
Monday, June 18, 2007
grant is still going in the potty first thing in the morning..other than that interest is limited. we are still celebrating though! grant talked for 10 mintues yes 10 minutes to his grandma bb on the phone yesterday..it was hilarious. he usually talks a bit...but he was really on a role im telling you what! we had to hang up before he was done. unfortunately he is really into holding the phone himself now...first time mommy mistake..but oh well....he loves it!
gotta keep this short cause im a working...but wanted to post the pics!
Thursday, June 14, 2007
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
I know its common practice in the good ole US of A...but its definitely still an elective surgery, and one that for many many reasons should be taken seriously. "Normal" doesnt mean right...or right for your child. The following article discloses the fact that circumcision can kill. Circs gone wrong are generally not in the media spotlight. Please read it and if you feel compelled...look into the case against circumcision. Did God create the penis flawed? I dont think so.
and also the following is one of many informative websites on the case against circumcision:
and if you are for circumcision...you owe it to yourself to watch the procedure
(if you cannot view that file...there are plenty to choose from if you scroll down some more)
Dr. Benjamin Spock MD
Dr. Spock now believes that circumcision of males is traumatic, painful, and of questionable value."My own preference, if I had the good fortune to have another son, would be to leave his little penis alone".Redbook, April 1989
Dr. William Sears MD
There are many misconceptions and out-of-date information that parents may read.
Dr. Dean Odell
I have had a long and vociferous opposition to the practice of routine male circumcision."If men knew what they were missing they would storm the hospitals and stop this practice".
Dr. Gifford Jones
I'm convinced that most families make a decision on circumcision without knowing much about this procedure.
Dr. Cat Saunders, Ph.D
Having had only circumcised lovers is like growing up with a black-and-white TV and then finding out there's color. If all you've ever known is black-and-white television, that's pretty wonderful in itself. But if you had a choice, wouldn't you rather have the full spectrum?
Monday, June 11, 2007
Friday, June 8, 2007
(pic is from when grant was like 6 months)
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Sunday, June 3, 2007
grant had a ton of firsts on the big penisula...including carousel ride, oceanic experience which includes playing in the sand (and eating some of course), first airplane ride, first man on stilts & amusement park, first walk on dad in the baby carrier and uh....first ambulance ride. ho hum.
so thats where the half full title comes in...bc if i wanted to be a downer and a pity me kinda person i could go on and on about the trials of this week...which were highlighted by a trip to not one but 2 yes 2 hospitals! long story short...grant got his hands on my mom's vicoden (she was cleaning out her pockets from our day at Busch gardens) and i rushed him to the hospital where they found him to be very very close to toxic levels of the Tylenol in the pill...so they insisted on transferring us to the pediatric hospital in st petersburg where we spent another 20 hours with our child on "hold" a.k.a. house arrest while they inspected our ability to parent. omg it was absolutely frightening from beginning to end. after we got over the fear of the pill....we became fearful of having our child taken away from us..and just overall feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place. fortunately by the end of it they agreed it was just a mistake and we really werent trying to silence our son with drugs.......ack.........but dave and i feel violated from the experience even though we know they are just trying to protect children. even our nurse agreed that it did take WAY longer than it should have...we were just sitting in the hospital feeling claustrophobic from 2am to 5 pm...it was nuts. the blessing is grant is fine with no long term complications. our little birdy swallowed a few ounces of disgusting charcoal juice with no problem...he is quite the patient!
besides that and one family session of the jerry springer show...it was really a great vacation. we had lots of fun in the son..and managed to not get seriously burnt. just having a week off work together with my 2 guys was a magical experience. i didnt pump once!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
oh and grant learned to sit up from a laying down position which has changed his life dramatically! now he feels the need to sit up during the night and crawl all over me...so dave and i took our bed off the springs & frame today..we are down on the floor so he isnt in danger...kinda makes me feel young again.