Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Breastfeeding & Antibiotic Use

Ho hum.....whoa is me. Yet another sweet, well intentioned mama led astray by her deeply trusted yet ignorant and most likely sold out family physician. Ho hum

Grant has a new baby at his day care; an adorable 3 month old whose older sister attends as well. I was ecstatic to hear that he was being nursed while mom was on a nice a phat 3 month maternity leave. Upon seeing the bottles, I asked if she was sending pumped milk. No she wasnt. Bummer. But thats cool....you can supplement during the day and still get the wonderful immunological, nutritional and nurturing benefits of breastfeeding in the evenings and throughout the night. I was excited, when yesterday I noted what appeared to be a nursing callous on his upper lip. She must be still nursing at home I hoped.

However....I was having my lunch date with Grant when the baby's mother came to pick up her brood. I softly asked her if she was still nursing. Her smile turned upside down and she sadly spoke that no, she got sick and had to take antibiotics so she HAD to stop nursing. She obviously was disappointed and had hoped to nurse longer. I empathized with her and just simply stated that it was wonderful she got 3 months in...no only 2 she corrected me. My heart was just dulled. I needed to look into this more. Does a nursing mother really need to disrupt feeding just for antibiotics?

Turns out NO...you dont need to stop nursing bc of most medication. This American Academy of Family Physicians article sums it up: "Physicians receive little education about breast-feeding and even less training on the effects of maternal medications on the nursing infant.1 Yet, concern about potential harm to the nursing infant from maternal medications is often cited as a reason to advise discontinuation of breast-feeding. Overwhelming evidence demonstrates the benefits of breast-feeding and the deleterious effects that can result from premature weaning.2 This article provides information to facilitate medication use in breast-feeding mothers."

Im irritated that first and foremost physicians are leading mothers astray. Even if they are not bought and sold by the formula companies (which is rare) they should learn more about breastfeeding and medication. This is besides the fact that in my opinion they should STOP pushing antibiotics for every little thing GRRRR. I am also irritated that this educated, internet savvy mother did not take the time to advocate for her and her family's health! I googled breastfeeding antibiotics and hundreds of sites came rushing forth denouncing the need to cease for such a reason.

Now I am armed with the truth. Next time I hear of someone whose dr is leading them down the formula path bc of medicinal contraindication - I will cry WOLF.

No comments: